My life is, most likely, changing drastically starting sometime next week.
Disclaimer: I am not a psychologist or a health professional. I am a teenager who knows what it is like to suffer through this and who wants to help share some tips and tricks that helped me through the worst phases of my depression.
EDIT 04/11/2012: My psychologist is now using this as a resource to help her patients deal with suicidal thoughts.
The most important thing is to talk to someone. Preferably, a responsible adult or a health professional. However, waiting lists for Psychologist, Psychiatrists and or mental health experts tend to be very long. And of course, they can not help you every minute of every day. If you are a teenager, talk to your guardian or parent. These people love you and want to help you through anything. If for whatever reason you do not feel comfortable talking to them, there are Call Centres, your teachers, your close friends. Lots of people are there for you, you just need to spot them.
The second most important thing is to avoid temptation. Recognise your weaknesses and stay away from them. Avoid the kitchen, the medicine cabinet, the DIY cupboard, what you think is most dangerous for you.
I realise, however, that if you are have recurring or continuous suicidal thoughts, it isn’t practical or possible to avoid these areas constantly and constantly be in contact with people. These are tips and tricks I find helpful to help combat the thoughts.
- Switch from “Goodbye” to “See You” Then mentally keep note of who you said “See you” too. This is a promise to that person that you will see them again. You can make this into a promise to yourself that you will stay around long enough to see them again.
- Make a List of the People who Care About You Write it down and carry it around with you. Every time you have the smallest suicidal thought, look at this list of people who want you to stay around. Likewise, you can make a list of people you care about, a list of everyone you don’t want to hurt.
- Procrastinate Tell yourself that you’ll wait five minutes, ten minutes, an hour, before you kill yourself. Tell yourself you’ll watch a movie first, or read a book, or scroll a bit further down Tumblr. Yeah. THIS IS ME GIVING YOU PERMISSION TO PROCRASTINATE. The urge does fade with time, and this is my fall back trick.
- Make Lists of Your Favourite Things Ice cream, chocolate, roller coasters, whatever it is. Carry that around, too. These are lists of things you want to experience again, and a promise to yourself you’ll be around to experience them.
- Exercise Exercise makes your brain release endorphins, which are chemicals nicknamed “The happy drug.” Releasing them makes you happy, basically. Also, if you do them outside, you are absorbing sunlight, which also helps release endorphins. Find your favourite sport and get out there and do it. (P.S. Sex also counts and that has its own benefits too)
- Eat Chocolate Remus Lupin knew what he was doing when he gave Harry chocolate. Chocolate releases endorphins, especially Serotonin which is an anti-depressant. YAY chocolate. You only need to eat small amounts for this to work.
- Meditate Sit still, close your eyes, think about happy stuff. It really is that simple. Meditation works best if you’re only feeling lower levels of suicidal thoughts so you actually have the ability to concentrate.
- Use Worksheets I love these. They’re simple, can be carried anywhere, easy to use, etc. Writing things down means you’re thinking about them and subconciously processing them. The 3 Ds, One to Fill Out and carry around, A Safety Plan, Wallet Sized Safety Plan, Commitment to Life Contract, STOPP cards for dealing with situations, Five Pages on Coping With Suicidal Thoughts, MANY, MANY MORE (AN: These are resources made by and used by health professionals and experts)
- Sleep On It Try and sleep. It stops the thoughts, clears your mind and reduces stress.
I CANNOT stress how important it is to seek professional help if you are experiencing suicidal thoughts. These are just tools to use between appointments.
You ARE beautiful. I care. Your friends and family care. You deserve to be here just as much as the next person.
Stay with us.
I am cosigning all of these as things that have helped me.
Currently running number 3 by watching all the Sailor Moon movies in Japanese.
So stop looking at me sideways and saying that maybe I should go in to have a psychological reevaluation to make sure I’m ~*okay*~
That doesn’t automatically make me a murderer
I can’t see people right now. I just can’t do it.
I’m just so tired.
my mood is taking a hit and I don’t know what to do about it.
Bipolar blog 2012, everyone.
I’ll go now.
Oh, side note. Stop fucking telling me whether or not I need medication and treatment if you aren’t a motherfucking professional.
“It’s Bipolar Disorder, not Pneumonia. It won’t kill you if you don’t take meds. Stop complaining about how expensive they are. Having a mental illness is such a first world problem.”
This is not helpful, and after I stop crying, I will fucking end you.
danger danger will robinson!
wow i hate this.
click for kickstarter book update:
Translation: Did you relate to my artwork on an intimate level? Ha ha, you’re broken!
What a disappointment. His comic (which I have enjoyed a great deal) never even suggested to me that he was particularly depressed, but if this is his response to the very notion then I’m not interested in supporting it further.
the biggest scumbag bullshit i’ve seen since the romney video leaked.
diaf john campbell
Wow what a giant bag of dicks.
I think I need a break from the internet because this has caused so much fucking rage inside my heart.
fuck neurotypical people.